Physical Fitness Vs Mental Fitness
Physical fitness is the state of being physically healthy. The person must be fit to perform the concerned sport or occupation. Physical fitness can be achieved through correct nutrition, regular exercises, and proper rest or sleep. The components of physical fitness are:
- Muscular Strength: Muscular strength has many definitions. Most commonly it is defined as the ability of a muscle to lift the weight. It may also be defined as the amount of force your muscles can exert on an object during anaerobic activities that are in absence of oxygen gas. In the scientific form, muscular strength is the ability of cells to supply the muscle fibre with muscle energy in the form of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) for muscle contractions. There are three classes of muscular strength:
- Maximum Strength: It is defined as the greatest force a person or the muscle can apply in a single maximum contraction.
- Elastic Strength: It is defined as the capability to overcome resistance with a fast contraction.
- Strength Endurance: It is defined as the ability to exert force many times.
- Without muscular strength, the body will become weak. The person may not be able to perform his daily routines in the absence of muscular strength. Muscular strength can be achieved by lifting heavy weights.
- Muscular Endurance: In simple language, muscular endurance is the ability to perform exercises in a repeated fashion without getting tired. Muscular strength deals with activities which cause short duration muscle contractions while muscular endurance includes the activities which cause muscle contraction in a sustained manner. The muscles are not used for a few seconds but for a few minutes. Muscular endurance is important for the cardiovascular system. The anaerobic exercises which last more than fifteen seconds and less than ninety seconds develop and increases muscular endurance. Muscular endurance can be achieved by working with light weights in sets of lower and high repetitions.
- Cardiovascular Endurance: Cardiovascular exercises are the exercises which are of aerobic in nature and last for more than ninety seconds. Scientifically cardiovascular activities are those activities which determine the efficiency of the heart, blood vessels and the lungs and their ability to deliver the blood which is rich in oxygen to the muscles in use at that time. They include exercises like jogging, running, swimming, cycling etc. cardiovascular endurance is important because good cardiovascular endurance ensures a healthy heart and healthy lungs. It can be achieved by doing aerobic exercises regularly.
- Flexibility: It is the range of motion which is possible for all sets of muscles. It is a very important component of physical fitness but it is generally overlooked. Without flexibility, the muscle would become stiff and will not be able to perform a proper movement. Flexibility can easily be checked by leaning in front and trying to touch your toes not bending your knees. Those who have flexible muscles will not be able to do it and those with flexible muscles will be able to do it. Flexibility is very important because it reduces the risk of acute and chronic muscle injuries. To achieve flexibility, regular exercises must be performed.
- Body Fat Composition: Body composition is the ratio of the number of tissues which are fat-free to the number of tissue which is composed of fat. To be classified as fit, men should have a body mass of seventeen per cent and women must have a body mass of 24 per cent.
Advantages of Physical Fitness
Earlier, people used to think that physical activities are meant only for those who are a part of armed forces or those who want to engage in jobs that require physical workout. But now the times have changed and the thinking of the people also. Today both young and old people want to be physically fit. Physical exercises protect the body from many kinds of ailments. It makes a person healthier. Physical fitness leads to a healthy heart. It reduces the risk of heart attacks and various diseases related to the heart. A physically fit person has an improved blood circulation. The tissues are delivered with a proper amount of oxygen and the necessary nutrients. The overall strength of the body also increases if the person is physically fit. The joints and muscles become flexible which reduces the risk of muscular injuries. Also, when a person tries to be physically fit, it reduces his body fat. The body takes a healthy shape. If one wants to achieve a disease-free life, he must understand the need for physical exercise to stay physically fit. The benefits of regular physical activities can be stated as follows.
- It reduces the risk of heart attacks and other heart diseases.
- It is an effective way of managing weight.
- It reduces the level of cholesterol.
- It lowers the risk of diabetes and cancer.
- It relieves stress and improves sleep.
- It makes a person feel better in terms of mood and energy.
If we take care of our physical fitness in the adulthood, it will be beneficial for us in the long run. When we will reach our old age, we will have to face less number of diseases. At that time, we will have less or maybe no joint pains, no chronic diseases, cholesterol, diabetes etc. Physical fitness also boosts self-esteem. If a person is physically fit then he will not have to feel shy about his body. He can be very confident when he meets a group of people that his body is in a good shape.
What is Mental Fitness?
Mental fitness means to have a healthy mind. It can also think of as the absence of any mental disorder. It includes the person’s ability to enjoy his life without any worries, and remain tension free. The components of mental fitness include:
- Coordination in Body: The body parts should be in a proper coordination with the autonomous nervous system. An emotional change must not affect the body of the person. For example, a person who is not mentally so fit will have increases heartbeat when he is too nervous, or a low blood pressure when he is extremely sad. But it will not be so in the case of the person who is mentally fit. A mentally fit person should be capable of handling all kinds of emotions.
- Nonverbal Communication: A mentally fit person must be able to understand the non-verbal communication communicated by the person he is talking to. It includes hand gestures, voice tones, and facial expression and also postures. He must be able to understand other people’s emotions and feelings to be mentally fit.
- Emotional Balance: The person must be emotionally fit. He should know how to handle different emotions. He should be strong enough emotionally. The person should not get carried away by emotions.
- Response Flexibility: A mentally fit person should be able to think before reacting. Instead of giving a quick aggressive response, the person must first examine the situation.
- Fear Modulation: It refers to reduce fear. The people who are anxious and full of stress tend to get afraid in all situations. The converse is also true. If a person is full of fear, he will become more anxious and stressful in any situations whereas others might just get nervous.
- Insight: A mentally fit person must not regret his past but should happily expect it. He should concentrate on his present rather than worry about the future.
- Empathy: it is the ability to think about other people by putting yourself in their place. This gives the insight of other people. It lets you understand other people’s feelings.
- Morality: Morality means to meet your own requirements without ignoring other’s requirement and to fulfil your requirements in such a way that it does not affect other people’s share.
- Intuition: Intuition is the activity of the right brain. It may be addressed as the sixth sense. It is considered a rough prediction made by the right brain.
Advantages of Mental Fitness
In the race of attaining physical fitness, people usually forget that mental fitness is equally important. Fitness does not include only physical fitness, mental fitness is also an essential part of it. To handle mental stress, to stay in peace, and face new challenges of life mental fitness is very important. Mental fitness is deeply connected with physical fitness. A mentally fit body will provide the right amount of nutrients and oxygen to the brain which is essential for physical fitness. Mentally fit person will become more confident and optimistic. If a person does not pay much attention to mental fitness he may become dyslexic, or he may develop poor memory which may further lead to many serious diseases. Mental fitness can be enhanced by playing mind games like chess, crosswords etc. meditating is very important for a healthy mind. One should intake foods which provide healthy fat to the brain like walnuts, fish, olives etc. for mental fitness it is very important to say a big no to drugs and alcohol. A good sleep is also essential for mental fitness.
363 total views